J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa
This visa is available for:
- Au Pairs;
- Summer work/travel;
- Students participating in exchange programs (secondary and university/college);
- Research scholars;
- Alien physicians;
- Individuals pursuing business and industrial training programs;
- Foreign nationals who are recognized as potential leaders or experts to engage in observation tours, discussions, consultation, professional meetings, and training; and
- Organizations authorized by the Department of State to sponsor foreign nationals for training.
Before applying for the visa, the applicant must be accepted as a participant in an American exchange program and be able to satisfy all the visa requirements.
The basic requirements for applicants are:
- Intention to remain in the US for a temporary and limited period;
- A valid passport;
- An offer from a designated exchange program;
- Ability to meet all qualifying criteria for the exchange program they have entered into;
- Sufficient funds to cover expenses in the US; and
- Intent to return to their country of nationality at the end of the program.
Accepted applicants may enter the US 30 days or less in advance of the start of their exchange program. Spouses and dependent children under the age of 21 may receive
How does White & Associates help?
The legal staff at White & Associates is ready to help you find a suitable